VA staff that make use of a virtual desktop can now connect directly, without the need to first access CAG or VPN. This is initially only available for Windows-based, VA-issued GFE and personally owned Windows 10 devices.
Download the Client
Download the 64-bit Windows Desktop client (MSRDC) application installer (this is intended Windows 10).
When prompted for installation action choose “Open”, which will open and run the installer.
Install the Client Application
When the Remote Desktop Setup welcome screen opens, click Next to continue.
On the End-User License Agreement screen, mark the checkbox I accept the terms of the License Agreement, then click Next.
On the Installation Scope screen, accept the default selection of Install just for you, then click Install.
On the Completed the Remote Desktop Setup Wizard screen, click Finish to complete the installation and begin configuring the client.
Configure the Remote Desktop App
On the Let’s get started screen, click Subscribe with URL.
On the Subscription to a Workspace screen, enter the URL "https://rdweb.wvd.microsoft.com" and click Next.
The “Remote Desktop” application will open, and you will be greeted with the “Sign in” window.
- Insert your PIV card into the PIV reader attached to your PC.
- Within the “Sign in” window, enter your VA email address and click “Next”.
When the “prod.adfs.federation.va.gov” window appears, click on “Sign in using an X.509 certificate”.
Choose your PIV Authentication certificate. Click OK.
For BYOD (personal, non-VA PCs) only: When asked if you would like to “Use this account everywhere on your device” uncheck the box, and click “This app only”.
You should be greeted with the 1VA Main desktop to connect to. This icon is for both GFE and BYOD (personal) devices. Double click the icon to launch your VA Azure Virtual Desktop Session.
- When prompted to log in:
- Select “Sign in using an X.509 Certificate”
Select your VA PIV Authentication Certificate
Click OK (Note: The ADFS pin verification may take a few seconds)
- Enter your pin and click OK
- You are now connected to the VA Windows Virtual Desktop Environment!
- When your work is complete, please log off like a normal Windows PC.
- Click the Start Button
- Click the person icon (Your name should be next to it)
Click Sign out
Open the “Remote Desktop” application and select the VA Host pool icon you want to reconnect to. (The MAIN VA AVD icon should appear for all users)
- Click on your remote application icon and follow step 10 above.
Screen Lock Reconnection
At the Login Screen click on the PIN Icon shown below (Note: The Smartcard is not default auth method on screen unlock)
Once the system changes to prompting for PIN, Enter your VA PIV Pin into the sign on screen
- Your prior AVD Session will continue from where you left off
- If for some reason the PIN ICON does not appear – click on the “Sign In” options hyperlink