How We Do It
VA’s playbook for strategic deployment of SaaS and PaaS solutions
VA is taking a strategic approach to service delivery by ruthlessly commoditizing specific needs of VA employees, Veterans, and stakeholders that can be met with no code (software as a service (SaaS)) and low code (platform as a service (PaaS)) third party, cloud-based solutions.
Improving access and accelerating delivery of SaaS and PaaS solutions as one part of VA’s diversified portfolio of digital products and services saves time and money that can be reallocated to developing and deploying more complex digital modernization efforts.
- Don’t take a “one size fits all” service delivery approach
- First, understand your current portfolio and service delivery process
- Build partnerships and coordinate SaaS and PaaS delivery approach and process across departments
- Redesign the entire end-to-end process with a cross functional and multi-disciplinary “one-team” approach
- Start small, test, and learn
- Don’t underestimate the level of effort required for security compliance
- Plan for set-up, procurement, deployment, and ongoing support for the product
- Scale, sustain, and improve
Scale, sustain, and improve
Delivering excellent digital products and services, including no and low code, in large organizations is hard. VA is the size of a Fortune 8-9 company, and every team at VA strives to provide Veterans and military families the very best services and customer experience possible. Scaling an innovative new service delivery process, which was initially developed and deployed by relatively small, empowered teams, becomes more difficult as demand increases. Today, more than half of all digital requests from VA employees are for no and low code digital solutions.
- Measure, measure, measure
- Share success and distribute accountability
- Continue to train and staff right government leaders and managers to oversee the process (don’t outsource everything)